Friday, December 13, 2013

It's the Happ - Happiest Season of all!

I love the Christmas season!  So many experiences to enjoy!  In fact - I would concur with Andy Williams that "it's the most wonderful time of the year."

One of my favorite experiences during the "happ-happiest season of all" - are experiencing the sounds of Christmas.

There are so many reasons to enjoy Christmas songs.  They're familiar.  They're singable.  They have a way of warming the soul and inspiring reflection and consideration of blessings.

Though all of these reasons are causing a cooperative effect leading to an enjoyable personal Christmas experience; there's an aspect of the sound of Christmas that is both challenging me and inspiring me as a songwriter.

Christmas lyrics.

Christmas lyrics (apart from and or complimentary to the hymns) provide some of the richest theological, finest articulated, and precisely communicated presentation of the Good News that exists through music.

"Silent night" is clear in it's presentation of the sign that God in flesh would be born of a virgin.
"O Holy Night" conveys our hopelessness in relation to our sins; it informs us of our hope and solution appearing in Jesus Christ; and it encourages our only reasonable response - to receive God's gift of righteous pardon and to worship the world's Savior.
"Joy to the world" calls the listener to prepare oneself with open heart for the coming of One, Who has highest rule and authority; of which all of creation submits itself to with rejoicing - encouraging the listener to join in.

It is clear to me that the lyricists of the familiar Christmas songs that we sing during the holiday season were not writing jingles.  They were submitting "an account for the hope" that was in them through song by offering Good News to their audience.

Would you pray for me as I continue to grow as a songwriter, that I would prove faithful "to holding fast the word of life, so that in the day of Christ I will have reason to glory because I did not run in vain nor toil in vain" ????

Now go and enjoy the sounds of Christmas!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment